Saturday, February 23, 2013

Night Out

Despite having a very amazing babysitting, we are not going out enough. Most of the time, we tour our friends places for more BBQ and social evenings. Not doubt, they are always enjoyable. Consequently, when we drive "to town" for a nice meal just for the two of us, it is quite special. Last night we felt like sushi. (Asia saudade?) And since we could not recall where was the good sushi in town, we landed on a random one. And consequently were disappointed. I mean, sashimi should not try to become ceviche, and cream cheese should stay at the breakfast table.

It is almost unmistakable, our random restaurants trials are usually a fail. If that would be only that, we could keep on trying until success, but the price tags are often Ritziesque. In most cases, the meals are overcooked, meat well overdone, full of creamy sauce, with few overcooked greens. Whether it is a typical Brazilian dish, or a French or an Italian one. Or even a Chinese one. The most practical and safe way to eat out is the buffet by the weight. But for dinner, I can't resolve myself to the cafeteria ambiance. Yeap, call me snob just for that.
It is not only the way the food is prepared that is sad, it is often the lack of imagination in the types of produces used and dishes made. Despite all the goodies this country produces, it is often surprising that people have not developed a more evolved taste buds. Our gardener needs to have his feijao (beans) and rice, she cooks him that daily. Maybe this situation is similar to the Quebecers' in the fifties. It must be just a matter of time to see some evolution. 
For us, our excuse for being "food snob" is this common love of food we share. I am pretty sure my cooking skills helped sealing our deal. Further, for my Israeli husband good food means mezzes and fresh produces and a gazzilions of different traditional ethnic dishes of several origins. For me, it is translated by a family affair with food, where meals are often homegrown, discussed and prepared together. And Beijing was for both of us a smorgasbord of flavors and produces far superior to any other places we lived in before. Chinese food is by far more varied than one could ever imagine. And the vibrant Beijing food scene is home to some of the best tables of Asia. And while we tested some (most) of them, we also loved the little unknown corner stall, where we would discover some amazing specialities.
That said, to be fair, we have discovered a few yummy addresses in Brasilia. I will report, I promise. I guess I just miss the infinite freedom of amazing food choices we had in our Beijing alleys.
For those readers who love typical Brazilian food, I would assume you either have Brazilian blood, or were raised here. And if it is not the case, I am ready to offer you a home cooked meal in lieu of apologies. Just email me.

No comments:

Post a Comment