Monday, February 11, 2013

My Own Rio

So for many of us, Brazil is synonym with Carnival. So, with our first Brazilian season approaching, I just assumed we would go. But for different reasons, my overworked husband could not make it to the Carnival. Maybe next year. In spite of this, I threw the idea around with some girlfriends - why not go together, just for a night, and catch a glimpse of the craze?!

And before we could think of it, we were there, me and the two Fionas, ready to Samba!
We first walked around Ipanema, posing with a sandcastle architect, buying jewelries from a native, drinking refreshing capeirinhas, people watching, chatting away. When I spotted a lady selling these sparkly sequined sets, hand made, sold on a blanket on the sidewalk, I just encouraged the three of us to "adapt" to the local customs (or is it costume?)! Specially after seeing a number of body types not necessarily benefiting to be exposed as they were (this city is well known for the lack of modesty of its inhabitants on its beaches and sidewalks), our own boldness did not really put our decency at stake!! So here we go, Rio, we are going to the Carnival!

No comments:

Post a Comment