Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Wet

Before our departure, it had been raining for a while. So I was expecting sunny weather upon our return, as I was assuming that "summer" in Brazil coincided with sun. Isn't that we keep the best time of the year to take kids off school for two months? Just to clarify, living in the southern hemisphere means having upside down seasons, and also upside down school holiday calendar. In other words, the Brazilian summer is also coinciding with Christmas. Therefore, kids here, in the Brazilian school system, are off for two full months. And they will only get two weeks off in July.
So I had imagined that these kids would get a hot sunny summer holiday. Well, no. Poor kids. January is a rainy month. I mean, rains are more like downpours. Or like a bucket of water falling on our head. Tropical rains. Lots of wind and horizontal rain. And many times, a grizzle of rain, more like Vancouver's grey grizzle. And most times, a sky covered in clouds and grey. And more humidity than ever before. I found today a pair of shoes that started collecting mold. A reminder of my days in Congo, where wood furniture, clothes, books, leather articles were all rotting.
But I feel we are lucky. Our kids are back in school, so I only have to manage their activities in the afternoon, not all day like the Brazilian moms... And our house has so many windows opening to our lush garden that it is actually very enjoyable to be home, and to watch it fall outside. When it is not raining here, we can see in the distance the clouds moving over the city and discharging themselves on one Asa or the other, depending on the moment. It is very pristine.
And furthermore, it is easier to keep the house clean... My little monkeys are mostly playing inside, enjoying their many toys received over Christmas.
But don't misunderstand me. When the rainy season comes to an end, we will all be happy...

No comments:

Post a Comment