Friday, September 28, 2012

Security Check

I have done security check ups countless amount of time. Flying solo with one or even two kids, having to empty the stroller basket while holding a crying child, having to debate the need to carry breast milk/baby jars to an agent, having to get my children to walk barefoot through the metal detector, having to empty all my carefully overpacked diaper back (and stuff it back while watching the kids run away), having to go through the super special security because I flew with an empty suitcase (I need to return it back to my dad), having to drink all my water before putting my bag in the scanner, having to do two or even three checks in the same airport because of terminal changes, well, having done in enough times in enough differently pressing situation, I usually feel ready for it all, specially when flying alone, without the kids. 

But already the Brazilian airport security seems to have a different take at things than anywhere else. When we landed in Sao Paolo in our historical flight, the security did not allow the kids to bring the scooters at the gates of our next flight (Sao-Brasilia). We needed to check them, to go back to the counter and check them as luggage.  The agents were inflexible, despite our accounts of international airpots allowing them (we could recall Beijing, Hong Kong, Tel Aviv, Istambul, Paris, Montreal, Québec, Bangkok, Moscow, among others). We were unusure of what were the reasons behind this request - I am still speculating here - are they afraid of us smuggling gun powder in the frame of the rolling device? Afraid of it being used to steal bags from old ladies and escape super fast? Or simply afraid we could use the frame as a weapon?? You tell me.
Today I just went through security again. Now that I boarded this flight for my extended weekend on mommy-cation, a couple things at the security still leave me perplex. First, they did not mind my 125 or even 150 ml bottles of liquid - and I had a few as did not checked my bag for this short escapade. Second, they did not asked me pull my computer out of the bag (this is a real pleasant novelty). But, they asked me to take off my jewelry, necklace and bracelet. As if I could conceal a weapon in them... 
Luckily they did not ask to remove my wedding ring, because I would not have been able to fly. 


And a bonus photo of Brasilia's international airport, looking from the third floor down to the arrival floor and below the departure hall. 

No comments:

Post a Comment